Scary stuff

"Do one thing everyday that scares you." (Eleanor Roosevelt)

Trading used to be a world of wonder and mystery. Now it scares me and it is still largely a mystery. I still do it everyday though so hopefully that counts for something. I think taking time off now and then helps maintain the element of wonder.

"What's meant to be will always find a way" (Trisha Yearwood)

I hope that means laying low and backing high and not the other way around.

"You're never as good as everyone tells you when you win, and you're never as bad as they say when you lose." (Lou Holtz)

Funny that. No-one has ever told me I was good at winning. When I have a cracker of a losing trade I expect to get a call from Betfair right afterwards with someone laughing so hard they can't speak.

"Ignore those that make you fearful and sad, that degrade you back towards disease and death." (Mawlana Jalal-al-Din Rumi)

I now ignore those who continually make out that trading is straightforward and even by randomly sticking trades into the market he still finds it hard to lose and so by implication (the 95% of traders) losers are sub-chimp level. And then have a one-way dialogue on their blog......

"If you treat an individual as he is, he will remain how he is. But if you treat him as if he were what he ought to be and could be, he will become what he ought to be and could be." (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe)

I like this guy. He also wrote my favourite ever quote:

"Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. "

After a long journey I've been making a profit for 6 months.

2 comments:

  1. Hi
    Great blog if you ever get the time you should read "Trading in the zone" by Mark Douglas. Its all about the psychological side of trading and although written for finacial markets it can apply directly to betting exchanges.The first few chapters where he points out common problems feels like he was writing about me.Much like your quotes it gives you plenty of food for thought and if you spend alot of time thinking about different aspects of trading then its worth a quick read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking the time to comment, Anon. I would echo your advice to anyone who hasn't read "Trading in the Zone" which I read last year and found inspiring. My trading is still very much a work in progress but this book helped me aim my efforts in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete